Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Eclipse

I did not take this picture.
Stella's nightly migration from her bed to our bed is not a rare thing. But what is rare is a total lunar eclipse coinciding with the winter solstice.

Last night, just such an eclipse coincided with Stella's migration.

As she was making her way up to our bed at around 3:15 am, I took a look out the patio door and saw the wanning eclipse. I called Stella and Lisa down to see it. Lisa was interested. Stella was a little interested. I told her that it would be 84 years before an eclipse would happen at the same time as the solstice again.

I explained to her that she would be 90 years old then, and that she could watch it with her kids and grandkids. And I asked her to remember her dad when she watched the next eclipse. She said she would.

Tears.

Mortality. Ain't it a bitch.