Sunday, October 27, 2013

Selena Gomez

The groupies
I don't think I went to my first rock concert until high school or college. I'm sure it must have had something to do with either Aerosmith or Genesis.

But my 21st century NYC chicks are having a much, much different upbringing.

Broadway shows.  Radio City. Professional sporting events.

So the girls were more than ready for their first "rock concert" when we brought them to Barclays Center to see Selena Gomez earlier this month.

The girls got dressed up in their concert finest and ascended to their nosebleed seats. After surviving the sonic assault of a local opening act, we went foraging for expensive arena food and then retuned to our seats for the opening act, Emblem 3 (Yes, I know. Who?)

At 8:30 Ms. Gomez hit the stage. Very punctual. She must realize that a great deal of her audience needs to go to grade school in the morning.

Marni is shaking it
I warned them that this would be the loudest thing they ever heard. So they were pretty prepared for the noise. Marni was up and dancing. Stella was a bit more reserved, but was enjoying herself in her own special way.

By about 9:30 Marni was beginning to get a bit bored by all the songs she didn't know. I convinced her to stick it out for a couple more songs because I knew the encore would include her two favorites.

She did. And they loved it.

By 10 we were heading home. Luckily, the arena is a 10 minute subway ride home.

The girls were in bed by 10:30 and were able to function normally in the morning for an on-time arrival at school. Stella wore the $40 Selena Gomez t-shirt we bought for them.

The concert was pretty good. Selena is a very talented gal. And Stella keeps telling me over and over again how she wishes Selena was her older sister.

Me too. I can certainly get used to a millionaire daughter.

She's down there somewhere