Thursday, August 12, 2010

Crank Calls

A couple of years ago I installed an office phone in the cottage. It works over the Internet and acts just like an extension on the NASFT phone system. This way I can do work from the cottage.

It didn't take long for the girls to figure out how to use the phone. All they need to do is push one button and it rings my desk in the office.

That's ok with me. But it has resulted in about a million phone calls per summer from Stella and Marni. Sometimes they reach me. Sometimes I'm away from my desk and they get voicemail. Stella has a good grasp on the voicemail concept and she often leaves me cute messages. Marni, on the other hand, doesn't always understand that it's not me on the phone... it's a machine.

Here's a voicemail message I received from the girls this week.



Transcript:

STELLA: Hi daddy. Just to let you know, we just came back and, uh, from downtown. And we had an ice cream. It was a long day, now we're getting ready to sleep. Bye bye.

Daddy... no. Mama, Marni and me love you! Bye bye.

MARNI: Hi daddy! Daddy? He's not talking. Daddy?

STELLA: It's the other phone. Marni, it's the other phone. (Meaning, I think, that it's voicemail and not me).



(This post contains video that can only be viewed from the website.)