Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Old Orchard Beach: Take 52

Old Orchard Beach (OOB) is the most constant place in my life.

I was born in Hartford but moved away by the time I was in first grade. I grew up in Natick, but haven't lived there in at least 29 years. And those past 29 years have been split between New York and New Jersey. But nothing compares to the 52 years that I've spent "summering" at Old Orchard Beach, Maine.

My father spent every summer there as a kid. I spent every summer there as a kid. Now my kids are spending their summers at OOB.

So begins summer 52 for me. Summer 6 for Stella. And summer 4 for Marni.

Even though the cottage remains the same, there are some slight changes this year...

This year there are no diapers. There are no cribs. And the girls now sleep together in the same bed.

Stella and Marni have picked up exactly where they left off last year. They have their beach routine down. They know their way around the cottage as if it was their year-round home. They know their cousins from across the street and down the road. And they know that less than a mile away is their favorite amusement park (sorry Coney Island).

Now begins their new summer adventure. Take 6 and take 4.